Windows - EDB File Too Large
The windows search (EDB) file can under certain circumstances get too large and result in a 'windows.edb file size too large' error
To resolve this issue, install update rollup 2836988 for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. For more information about how to obtain this update rollup package, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2836988 Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 update rollup: May 2013
Note This update is preventative, but not corrective. To reduce the size of a Windows.edb file that is already affected by this issue, you must rebuild the search index after you install this update.
How to delete and rebuild index
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
- Tap or click Settings.
- In the search box, type indexing options.
- Tap or click Indexing Options.
- Tap or click Advanced.
- Tap or click Rebuild on the Indexing Settings tab.
- Tap or click OK to confirm.
- How to offline defrag the index